Author Topic: Maps for Alternate Reality: The City  (Read 8379 times)

ASI Industries

• View Profile
Maps for Alternate Reality: The City
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
A good friend if mine Peter Panayiotopoulos of Greece created maps for Alternate Reality: The City, that were going to be published within the next issue of Page6 NAU, he wrote to me near the end of February 1995.

I suspect that the Page6 NAU issue would be between 70 - 72.

The reason i ask is both myself & Peter had discontinued our subscription by that time, for me Issue 69 was the last.

1: Can anyone confirm what issue it was actually published?
2: Also does anyone have a scan of those maps?
--
Andrew
ASI Industries = As in does tries!

prixon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Maps for Alternate Reality: The City
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
I've looked in the mags but can't see any sign of an AR City Map.....

ASI Industries

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
Hi paul, from what Peter told me i his letter:

Peter Panayiotopoulos wrote to me on 26 of February 1995:
"Page6 NAU will print the city map in the next issue, but i probally wont see it as my subscription is up & i wont be renewing it."

Most likely the map, potions list & locations would be published in the Tipster section.

Peter also sent dungeon maps for Phantasy RPG as well to Page 6 NAU in the later half of 1994, but never heard anything about them.

Anyway Peter sent me his originals around November / December 1994 for AR:The City & Phantasy!

So if required i could sent them to you as they are on a A3 paper.

Also maybe i have got the issues confused again, maybe it could be a later issue!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:42:12 PM by ASI Industries »
--
Andrew

prixon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
I've looked in all the Tipster columns after that time (right up to 85) but found nothing.
Perhaps the maps were too big to fit into the A5 sized magazine pages, and they weren't used.

Rgds
P

baz67

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »
Hi there, Paul & guys,
I'm new to the forum but a massive fan of the Atari Classic range of 8bit machines.
Once met Les Ellingham & Jeff Minter at an Atari User show (either 86 or 87) but being marooned out in E Yorks, a trip to the big smoke was quite a big deal in my teens so contact with the luminaries of the Atari world was always gonna be few and far between!  How are these fantastic fellas, by the way, Paul? What are they both doing now?

Anyway, it's superb I've found this site as I'm currently in the process of filing all my Atari User and Page 6 Atari User mags and locating which numbers I've lost/require to complete runs etc - does anyone on the forum do any swaps/selling as I have doubles too, available?

FINALLY! To reply to this thread on the subject of a map for Alternate Reality - THE CITY - it appeared in a column by 'Ruoloc' in the July 87 issue (Vol3 No3) of Atari User in its full entirety over a double page spread (p.32-33) of that mag.  It's huge occupying 64 x 64 locations.  Would you like a scan sent over, chaps?

All the very best to all in the world of 'keeping the Atari alive'.

Although I owned at least 3-4 8bit computers, the Atari was always the machine closest to my heart.

CHEERS, ANDY BARR

prixon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for pointing out the AR map in Atari User. I guess it's not the same one that Peter Panayiotopoulos produced (the article seems to imply that the "Rouloc" did it) though, as Page 6 and and Atari User were not associated until much later on.

Last time I spoke to Les he was still in Stafford and planning a future move to the Outer Hebrides! You will also find his excellent photography around the net. Don't know much about Jeff Minter but you can read about him on Wikipedia or at llamasoft.co.uk.

eBay is usually the best place to find mags. I've pretty much got rid of all my spares now, only a pristine set of everything left which won't be going anywhere :)

Cheers
Paul

ASI Industries

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
I've looked in all the Tipster columns after that time (right up to 85) but found nothing.
Perhaps the maps were too big to fit into the A5 sized magazine pages, and they weren't used.

Hi Paul, i guess you are right, ahh well i better tell Peter the bad news, thank you for looking anyway!

Hi Andy, since the AR map you found is published by Atari User (Database publications), sorry i am not interested in map & article, as i still currently have Peter Panayiotopoulos originals for AR & Phantasy, but thank you for the offer anyway!
--
Andrew